The first run

This afternoon, I went to a park with long, paved trails.  It was cloudy and not too hot, around 65F. Everything was so green and lush! There were many bushes with white and pink flowers, in bloom. They smelled really nice too!

I set a target to run/walk 1 mile. I  ended up doing 1.4 miles, with the following times. 


Although I know better, I overdressed. It seemed chilly when I got out of the car and I kept a thin hoodie on. I ended up taking it off after a while and continued in a t-shirt, with the hoodie wrapped around my waist. Not ideal, so next time I'll remember!  

I walked a bit more to cool off and look at the pretty flowers.



So this has been my first attempt at running (jogging really) in years!  I do feel that my leg muscles have been put to work a bit. It's nice that this run happened on Memorial Day, as I will remember it better. A reference point in time. I have a long way to go from here!

Speaking of Memorial Day, we celebrated with some hot dogs, sides and salad, followed by some ice cream with cherries and blueberries. 




What do you wear on your runs?

What is the best cross training one can do at home, with no gym equipment, to get some core strength?
















 

Comments

  1. Good for you for getting out the door for that first run! I tend to overdress too. I am cool when sitting around in the house, but as soon as I begin running, I heat up. Looking forward to reading about your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job getting that first run done! 65 degrees is tank and shorts weather for me, or if it's not humid maybe short sleeves. But yes, it warms up fast when you're running! Flowers are so gorgeous right now!
    Have you checked out my (Marcia's Healthy Slice) YouTube Channel? I've got lots of no-equipment corework there. Plank sequences are effective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcia! I was not aware of your Youtube channel, I'll check it out. I could definitely use some ideas from there, on corework.

      Delete
  3. You have to start somewhere. Now the chore is to continue. And up your mileage very slowly so you don't get injured. Speed is not important unless you are in a race and not always then.

    Lately the weather has been so crazy that I overdress. The key is to be cold when you start to be comfortable when you run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's reassuring to hear that speed is not important in the beginning. I will up the mileage slowly.

      Thank you for all the advice!

      Delete
  4. Well done on getting out for a run! 1.4 miles is a great start.
    Having a blog is a great way to keep your self accountable and to track your progress. It's also a great place to learn from others.
    Keep it up and looking forward to reading more about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catrina! Yes, I think the running blogging community is a great resource to learn from others, more experienced.

      Delete
  5. I love the heat of summer, so you'll never hear me complain (much) about being too hot LOL My outfit of choice is a tank and shorts, sometimes I'll add arm warmers (if it's a bit cool, like in the early morning before the sunrise). It might take awhile to experiment with different options (tanks, short sleeves, shorts or skirts, capris) until you find what feels right for YOU. Just make sure you have the correct shoes for your feet and your stride, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have started shopping around for some running shorts and a t-shirt made of thinner material. I have some old shirts and capris but they're already too warm for the tropical weather we're having, lol.

      Luckily I still have my old running shoes from when I last took up running. They're an older model but so cushy and comfortable! I was thinking of finally trying out some Brooks though!

      Delete
  6. Summer running is not my favorite, but these hot summer runs make for some awesome fall running. Money in the bank. I like to go earlier in the morning before the sun starts to heat the day. Running in the woods on the trails also is a good alternative. There's shade and it is cooler than the roads. I usually wear a light tank and shorts. I use my heart rate to guide my effort. Everything feels harder in the warmer weather, so you have to run slower.

    Yoga and pilates are great ways to use your body weight to develop core strength at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't love the summer heat either, when it comes to being outdoors. I'll definitely stay on trails or try to go out early morning or late evening.

      Thanks for all the advice!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hello November!

I'm back - Winery 5k race recap

A short 1.2 mile hike