I run-walked a 5K!
Last weekend I participated in a 5K supporting a local charity, raising funds for animals.
I have to start by saying that after my last run-walk of 2.8 miles, my back started to hurt. Sitting on a chair at work, for hours on end the following days, also didn't help.
However, I was having FOMO, as my local running group said they'd be at this 5k. So I registered. My intention was just to walk it (they had that option). I run a couple of sections and walked the rest. It is what it is.
When I got there in the morning, there were about 80-100 people by my estimate. It was wonderful to see all the colorful outfits and participants of all ages, from small kids to people in their 80s.
I registered, got my bib and took the race t-shirt to the car. I was a bit late so didn't have time to look for the running club yet. I met with them at the end.
I started after the first waves of runners have taken off, in the back with the other walkers, which was good because I was trying to avoid crowds anyway. The first 1.5 miles were on pavement and then the rest on sand, at the beach.
The first mile was an out and back then up a hill (what?π). I started to run on the flat part and passed all the walkers. I was now with the slow runners. I walked the uphill lol...then run downhill.
They had water and gatorade at each mile, handed out by some wonderful volunteers.
I did all the running before we entered the beach. The sand was not very level and it was wet, as it had rained throughout the night.
The race course was along the lake and it was really beautiful. Just a bit of wind and no sun. The temp in the low 70s. I got my shoes wet which added to the weight. I must say I had in front of me a lady which i believe was at least in her 70s and she was running! Quite inspiring.
At the finish line, I went to grab some food and water. They had grilled kielbasa on buns, all kinds of chips and pretzels and then cookies. They served beer as well but I took mine home ( it was a can). I then met up with the others from the running group, ate and chatted about the race and how everybody did.
It was fun and the slow pace actually allowed me to take in the race course and the entire race atmosphere. To really notice the details and try to memorize them...people cheering from their porches, volunteers' faces, race flags, the lake.



Yay for having a race! Gotta love those strategically placed hills on a race course. My race, Saturday morning, had a nice steep hill for the first 1/4-mile or so. That was fun LOL, especially given the cluster of everyone right out of the gate.
ReplyDeleteIt was fun taking part in the race. I'm glad I did it.
DeleteA cluster right out the gate and on a hill...sounds tough. I tend to stay away from hills lol.
Well done, Firefly! A local running group can be so motivating. I'm very happy that you enjoyed this 5k race. Your walk-run strategy worked out nicely.
ReplyDeleteI love it when I see runners who are older than myself, I find it very inspiring, too.
Thank you! I really enjoyed the 5K. One day maybe I can run the full race.
DeleteYeah, that lady was kicking everyone's behinds lol. So inspiring. And she had some very high end running gear. She was a pro probably.
Congrats!!! Smart move, running before the beach. I am not a fan of running on the beach. The surface is uneven and it's pretty hard to run on the sand.
ReplyDeleteI've been passed by runners older than me plenty of times and it's so humbling! And inspiring.
I was looking in awe at the runners that were going fast on the sand, like...how?π It was sooo uneven and wet from the previous rain. Not my thing. But the lake was beautiful!
DeleteI'm sure that lady I saw must have been a runner with a ton of experience. She was very inspiring. She too run on the sand!