Longest run-walk so far

I hope you had a great 4th of July weekend!  We went on a short trip to Western Michigan, ate some of the juiciest burgers in a long time and saw fireworks over Lake Michigan. 

The weather all last week was...peak summer brilliance. Blue sky, high temps, low humidity! 

One evening, even though it was 84F, I drove to the park, ready to do a longer run-walk. I started off slowly, as I didn't warm up beforehand. My shins were complaining.  Eventually I got into a rhythm. 

As usual, my intervals were 1 min running, followed by 30 sec walking. The more I run, the better I felt. I was surprised by the progress, even though I didn't get out there as much as I should have. 

I managed 2.91 miles.  


I felt good for the first 2 miles...afterwards I kind of slowed down. My legs and arms were starting to feel heavy and I was breathing more through the mouth. It just felt uncomfortable.

I was also overheating a bit, even though I was wearing a tank top and Asics running shorts (all newish and pretty comfortable in the heat but still...84F). They're similar to these ones on Amazon:



I wish I had some cold water with me (it was in the car), as I think that would have helped give me a boost. 

At some point, I also started to feel a muscle begin to hurt in my abdomen, so I slowed down even more, afraid it was a side stitch and I'd have to stop completely. I didn't need to. I made it back to the parking lot and stopped the Garmin. I was pretty ok with the distance. 

Aside from this run-walk,  I also did a 3 mile walk, on a different day.  Other than that, my only exercise this past week has been some gardening. I finally planted some rose bushes I bought a few weeks back. 


What has been your longest run to date?











 





Comments

  1. It's so hard to run fast or far in the summer!!! Keep going with those run/walk intervals. Run early in the day before the sun turns up the temperature. Carry water. And remember that come fall, you're going to feel like a pro--the best running comes in the fall after suffering through the heat of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the heat and humidity are not my thing lol.

      I am supposed to take a 2 week break from physical activity, due to some back pain issues. Hopefully I can train again afterwards but increasing my distance more gradually...i kind of wanted to do 3 miles quickly and my core and back weren't strong enough yet.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hello November!

I'm back - Winery 5k race recap

A short 1.2 mile hike