Winter hikes and purchases

Hi all! I've taken a break from blog writing but not from outdoors activities (granted, they slowed down significantly over the past couple of months, due to the cold). 

I've mostly been on 2-3 mile hikes, through local woods or by the lake. There are endless trails to explore and on the days with bluebird sky and sunshine, I laced up my winter boots and off I went! 

Here's how the trails mostly look like now: 



Not too shabby! 😎 

 It snowed and snowed though, and sometimes I feel blessed to look over the frozen Lake Michigan and imagine I am somewhere in the Arctic. I used to read about polar explorers...Shackleton, Amundsen, Scott...about ships cought in the ice and sailors having to endure polar conditions...I feel a strange excitement to walk on frozen beaches, in harsh cold, with almost no one around...




With winter so long and harsh , where I am, my poor old boots have finally given up. I was walking on the beach, through some snow drifts, when I started to feel my right toe become....frozen. I was thinking it was due to the very cold weather and poor insulation...but no. I got home and my sock was soaking wet. There is a leak somewhere. 

I haven't been able to determine what exactly is going on and since they're pretty worn out and have seen some...stuff....I've decided to buy some new ones. 

I did some research and eventually ordered the Sorel Tofino II model. I was apprehensive about buying online. To my surprise, they fit really well! They are waterproof and wide in the toe area, so I can wear warm socks! The only cons are they feel a bit heavy and I've noticed they don't have super good grip on hard ice (I have Yak Trax though). 



My winter shopping spree continued with something I've admired for a long time but never thought I'd get to own...a Rumpl Grand Canyon quilted blanket.


The entire National Park collection looks so dreamy to me. I haven't been on a real vacation since the pandemic begun, so I really miss the beautiful mountains and the adventure!

I had a gift card from Christmas, so I decided to get it. It looks beautiful, it's pretty light and can be used both to cozy up indoors, as well as for camping. I miss camping! 

My pets LOVE it. I think they like the texture and the colors lol....we're fighting for this blanket. In fact, one is curled at my feet, belly up, as I write this. 

***No, I don't get $$ from Sorel nor Rumpl lol, for reviewing their products. I wish!!

I'll leave you with a couple more "winter wonderland" photos....I will start walk-running again, as soon as it gets over 32F but for now, hiking it is! 





Questions for you: Do you have any favorite winter products? What about favorite places to run or hike?
















Comments

  1. That Rumpl blanket has been on my mind for a while! I might have to splurge... Hmmm my favorite winter product? I think it would be my North Face thermoball jacket. It is so thin and weighs nothing, yet it keeps me toasty warm in the coldest temperatures. I use it for subzero runs and when I XC ski.

    I just love the photos--you are so lucky to live so close to the lake!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hello November!

A short 1.2 mile hike

I'm back - Winery 5k race recap